Jan Golaszewski is the head of our dispute resolution and insolvency practice in the Cayman Islands office.
He has a broad range of experience in the offshore and financial services context with an emphasis on multi-jurisdictional commercial litigation, arbitration and insolvency matters. Many of his cases have involved interim protection for creditors and shareholders.
Jan is an experienced advocate and he has appeared at all levels of the Courts in the Cayman Islands. Jan is ranked consistently by the independent legal directories and is quoted as: "personifies the firm - he is driven, bright, experienced, personable and willing to go the extra mile for clients." Also, "Jan communicates in straight English, which means difficult messages are very easily understood; he breaks down complexity very well." Clients "never doubt Jan's advice", "he's never afraid to tell us something we won't like to hear” (Legal 500 and Chambers Global).
Recent experience includes advising:
- Bondholders in a claim against, and a subsequent restructuring involving, Luckin Coffee Inc.
- PwC as the joint provisional liquidators of Abraaj Holdings
- eHi Car Services Limited in its dispute with a minority shareholder
- Deloitte as controllers of Beechwood Re
- Bondholders on the restructuring of China Shanshui Cement Group Limited
- 318 individual plaintiffs in a claim against DMS Bank arising from the Capital World Market fraud
- KPMG as inspectors and then joint provisional liquidators of Greens Holdings Limited
- PwC as joint official liquidators of Ardon Maroon Asia Dragon Feeder Fund
- Grant Thornton and PwC as joint official liquidators of Weavering Macro Fixed Income Fund Limited
- A Liongate fund in a claim against its former directors
- Aurelius Capital Management on the restructuring of Oi SA
- Bondholders on the restructuring of Mongolian Mining Corporation through a scheme of arrangement
- Mr Eike Batista and the 63X companies in relation to a worldwide freezing order
- The Liquidation Committee of Columbus Frontiers Latin America Trade Finance Ltd
- Dentsu Aegis in relation to a section 238 valuation dispute involving its shareholding in Charm Communications Inc
- EFG Bank in relation to various litigation issues
Jan has acted as an expert witness on Cayman Islands law in many foreign court and arbitration proceedings, including being deposed and appearing in Court and giving testimony in the United States District Court, Southern District of New York.
Jan formerly worked for Maples and Calder in the Cayman Islands and for Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London and Hong Kong.
He graduated from Magdalen College, Oxford with a first class honours degree in Law.
Jan was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2003, as an attorney at law in the Cayman Islands in 2008 and as a solicitor of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands) in 2016.
Jan is a member of the International Bar Association, INSOL and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
He is the Judicial Officer for the Cayman Islands Rugby Football Union.Recent Briefings