Jan Golaszewski is the head of our dispute resolution and litigation practice in the Cayman Islands office.
He has a broad range of experience in the offshore and financial services context with an emphasis on multi-jurisdictional commercial litigation, arbitration and insolvency matters. Many of his cases have involved interim protection for creditors and shareholders.
Jan is an experienced advocate and he has appeared at all levels of the Courts in the Cayman Islands. He is recommended in Chambers Global and Legal 500.
Recent experience includes advising:
- PwC as the joint provisional liquidators of Abraaj Holdings
- eHi Car Services Limited in its dispute with a minority shareholder
- Mr Eike Batista and the 63X companies in relation to a worldwide freezing order
- A Liongate fund in a claim against its former directors
- 318 individual plaintiffs in a claim against DMS Bank arising from the Capital World Market fraud
- Deloitte as controllers of Beechwood Re
- KPMG as inspectors and then joint provisional liquidators of Greens Holdings Limited
- PwC as joint official liquidators of Ardon Maroon Asia Dragon Feeder Fund
- Grant Thornton and PwC as joint official liquidators of Weavering Macro Fixed Income Fund Limited
- Aurelius Capital Management on the restructuring of Oi SA
- Clearwater Capital on the restructuring of China Shanshui Cement Group Limited
- Bondholders on the restructuring of Mongolian Mining Corporation through a scheme of arrangement
- The Liquidation Committee of Columbus Frontiers Latin America Trade Finance Ltd
- Dentsu Aegis in relation to a section 238 valuation dispute involving its shareholding in Charm Communications Inc
- EFG Bank in relation to various litigation issues
Jan has acted as an expert witness on Cayman Islands law in many foreign court and arbitration proceedings, including being deposed and appearing in Court and giving testimony in the United States District Court, Southern District of New York.
Jan formerly worked for Maples and Calder in the Cayman Islands and for Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London and Hong Kong.
He graduated from Magdalen College, Oxford with a first class honours degree in Law.
Jan was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2003, as an attorney at law in the Cayman Islands in 2008 and as a solicitor of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands) in 2016.
Jan is a member of the International Bar Association, INSOL and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
He is the Judicial Officer for the Cayman Islands Rugby Football Union.Recent Briefings