Mary V Ward
Mary V. Ward advises on all aspects of commercial and corporate law, with extensive experience in securities law, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring of private and public companies and private equity. She also advises on insurance matters, including incorporation and ongoing regulatory requirements of commercial insurers, equity and debt financings of insurers and insurance groups including private placements, listed debt offerings and IPOs.
Mary represents a significant number of international insurance companies headquartered, or with substantial operations, in Bermuda as well as various private equity houses and has advised on some of the largest M&A deals recently completed in the insurance sector. Mary also acts for various global financial institutions on finance and debt restructuring matters.
Her recent notable transactions include:
- Advising Hiscox Ltd on its cashbox placing of ordinary shares, raising gross proceeds of GBP 375 million.
- Advising Bridgepoint Advisers Limited in connection with its sale of Estera, a global provider of corporate, trust, fund and accounting services to Inflexion Private Equity.
- Advising Ark Insurance Holdings Ltd. in connection with an $800m equity investment from White Mountains Insurance Group, Ltd.
- Advising Arch Capital Group Ltd. on its all cash merger with Watford Holdings Ltd.
- Advising Third Point Re on its merger with Sirius International Insurance Group, Ltd in a cash and stock transaction.
- Advising Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. (MMC) on its acquisition of Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc for US$5.6 billion in fully diluted equity value.
- Advising Monument Re in connection with its purchase of GreyCastle Holdings Ltd.
- Advising the mandated lead arrangers and global co-ordinators in connection with the senior secured term and revolving facilities provided to PPF Group N.V. for the acquisition of Central European Media Enterprises Ltd.
Mary is recognised as an expert in her field by both Chambers and Legal 500 with market sources recognising her considerable experience in corporate, regulatory compliance, finance and insurance work. She is also ranked by IFLR1000 as a "Highly regarded" Leading Lawyer for her Debt, Capital markets, Equity and M&A work.
Mary joined Carey Olsen Bermuda after 15 years at Conyers Dill & Pearman. Prior to her arrival in Bermuda, she worked for international law firms Linklaters in New York and Slaughter and May in London. She was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 1994 and the Bermuda Bar in 2004.
Carey Olsen Bermuda Limited is a limited liability company incorporated in Bermuda and approved and recognised under the Bermuda Bar (Professional Companies) Rules 2009. The use of the title "Partner" is merely to denote seniority. Services are provided on the basis of our current terms of business.