Nichola is a senior associate in Carey Olsen's Trusts and Private Wealth team with over 10 years' experience of specialising in non-contentious trust and company matters in a private wealth context.
In particular, Nichola advises on the establishment and operation of private and commercial trust structures, including settlor reserved power trusts, charitable and non-charitable purpose trusts and foundations. Nichola also has experience in dealing with complex restructurings and her practice includes the dissolution, reinstatement and migration of Jersey private companies and foundations.
In 2018 and 2019, Nichola was named in eprivateclient's Channel Islands Top 35 Under 35 list, which identifies rising stars of the private client community. In 2019, Nichola was included on the Citywealth Leaders List, a directory of the leading individuals in international private client and wealth management.
Recent experience includes:
- Establishment of a private trust company structure for a high net worth individual with complex constitutional arrangements at all levels to allow the settlor (and thereafter various family members) to retain a high level of control over all aspects of the structure
- Establishment of a number of Jersey foundations and discretionary trusts for an ultra-high net worth family
- Advising on the major restructuring of a family office structure established for the benefit of an ultra-high net worth family, including winding-up six substantial private trust company structures (approximately 50 trusts and over 100 underlying companies)
- Establishment of several trusts for a high net worth family with complex ownership arrangements of underlying assets, including liaising with English and US counsel and tax advisors
- Advising on the transfer of trusteeship by a corporate trustee of a portfolio of approximately 150 trusts and the related transfer of trust assets and novation of contractual obligations
- Undertaking due diligence in connection with a proposed acquisition of a trust company business
- Establishment of a foundation to act as a trustee of a trust
- Advising an overseas financial institution in connection with the establishment of purpose trust structures to hold higher risk assets and feed cash flows to discretionary trusts
- De-enveloping of UK residential property in respect of various structures
Nichola frequently speaks at client seminars on all matters of trusts law and has written articles for a number of industry publications.
Nichola joined Carey Olsen in 2013, prior to which she worked for another large Jersey law firm for six years.
Nichola qualified as a Jersey solicitor in 2017 and was sworn in as an advocate at Jersey's Royal Court in March 2021.
She is an associate member of the Institute of Directors and an member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.