Oliver is a Senior Associate and Advocate in Carey Olsen's Dispute Resolution team specialising in dispute resolution and litigation in addition to regulatory law.
In 2020, for the third year running Oliver has been named in eprivateclient's Channel Islands Top 35 Under 35 list, which identifies rising stars of the private client community. Oliver also features in the 2020 list of UK's Top 35 Under 35 private client practitioners.
Oliver's recent highlights include:
- Acting as Advocate for the defendants in a recent reported landmark decision before the Royal Court of Jersey, construing various matters of importance for the regulated financial services sector in Jersey and succeeding on all arguments
- Acting in relation to Jersey aspects of the high profile insolvencies of Carillion Group and BHS
- Representing the interests of a global bank in relation to allegations of breach of Libyan sanctions and Jersey Anti-Money Laundering laws
- Advising a number of financial institutions in Jersey relation to JFSC investigations, remediation plans and civil financial penalties
- Advising a major Asian bank and a number of English and Jersey based funds structures in relation to proceeds of crime risk arising from fund investments
- Advising two prominent Jersey corporate service providers on the AML obligations applying to capital markets structures
- Advising a US based social media platform on compliance with Jersey regulatory laws
- Performing successful asset recovery for a locally administered property holding company which had been the victim of a complex multi-jurisdictional fraud
- Advising the trustee of a number of trusts where the settlor of those trusts was implicated in the Operation Carwash corruption investigation in Brazil
- Advising the corporate trustee of a trust in which the deceased settlor has been named in a major SFO investigation in England
- Advising a G8 government on enforcement of an external confiscation order via the Jersey Courts
- Assisting a local utility company on structuring customer finance arrangements in light of Jersey regulations
- Advising a number of gambling permit holders in interactions with the Jersey Gambling Commission including causing the JGC to adopt a narrower approach to the category of persons considered to be "gambling service providers"
- Assisting a gambling service provider with obtaining a bank account in Jersey by assisting with the proper legal characterisation of client account funds
- Advising a major global bank on an investment based claim which is in genesis in Jersey and the Isle of Man
- Advising a major global bank in relation to sanctions issues arising in relation to the secondary market in North Korean sovereign debt
- Reviewing and appraising the AML policies of a market leading lender in the Channel Islands
- Assisting a major US investment bank with a mapping exercise of Jersey laws
- Acting on a construction dispute relating to Elizabeth Castle, a prominent landmark in Jersey
- Assisting the Bank of Butterfield, a Bermudan bank, obtain relevant authorisations from the Jersey Financial Services Commission
- Acting as Advocate for a local accountancy firm in its claim against a former director for breach of covenant and implied duties
- Providing sanctions and AML advices to facilitate a number of high profile transactions by Carey Olsen's corporate department and Jersey regulated businesses
Oliver turns around advice on EU sanctions as applied in Jersey on short notice in most common scenarios in addition to assisting clients triage the issues and seek appropriate advice on foreign sanctions (e.g. US OFAC sanctions). Oliver has been particularly busy in his sanctions practice over the last 12 months.
Oliver joined Carey Olsen in 2014, having trained and qualified as a Solicitor of England & Wales with Clifford Chance. Previous work experience also includes a secondment to the Clifford Chance Singapore office and two years at Dyne Solicitors Limited, an environmental law boutique. Oliver is a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association and the Jersey Compliance Officers' Association.Recent Briefings