One of Jersey's leading funds lawyers, partner James Mullholland's experience covers a wide breadth of investment funds and corporate work with a particular emphasis on private equity funds.
Throughout the ten years spent in the City at Slaughter and May and O'Melveny & Myers, James has acted on numerous fund structurings and re-structurings, co-investments and listing transactions, as well as on portfolio acquisitions, refinancings and management spin outs in the private equity and real estate funds space.
Since joining Carey Olsen in Jersey, James has attracted an enviable client base, including a number of leading private equity and real estate fund managers. His significant clients include AEW Europe, Apollo Global Management, Ardstone Capital, The Blackstone Group, Cheyne Capital, Epiris, FSN Capital, Global Advisors, Hollyport, Intermediate Capital Group, Kennedy Wilson, KKR, Kreos Capital, M7 Real Estate, Patrizia Immobilien AG, Schroders and Westbrook Partners.
His recent investment fund transactions of note include advising on the Jersey aspects of the following:
- advising Epiris on launch of £821 million buyout fund;
- advising Kreos Capital on its flagship fund, Fund VI;
- advising leading Nordic private equity firm FSN Capital Partners on its latest fund FSN Capital V which has attracted US$719 million worth of commitments;
- advising Hastings Insurance Group on investment by Goldman Sachs private equity funds valuing the business at £700 million and its subsequent listing on the LSE;
- advising ICG on the largest ever secondary deal in Europe at the time valued at €880 million;
- advising CBRE Global Investment Partners on a £200 million acquisition and financing of 280 Bishopsgate from Royal Bank of Scotland;
- advising on the establishment and closing for Hollyport Secondary Opportunities VII Fund which closed at $1 billion;
- and advising on the establishment of a joint venture between Schroders Real Estate and Octopus Real Estate to invest £100 million in the development of new retirement villages.
James is ranked in the 'Hall of Fame' by Legal 500. He is also rated as a Market Leader in IFLR1000 2021.
James trained and qualified as a solicitor with Slaughter and May, where he spent six years working in one of the corporate teams in London. In 2005, James joined the private equity team of O'Melveny & Myers in London and then joined Carey Olsen Jersey in the summer of 2010.
James is an alumnus of the University of London (MSc Hons), Durham University (BSc Hons) and the College of Law (London).