Carey Olsen provides a full suite of non-contentious insurance services to leading market participants in the insurance industry.
Our lawyers advise insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries, risk managers, investors, sponsors, brokers and other financial services companies on all aspects of the Bermuda insurance industry, including corporate insurance, listings, M&A, regulatory matters, restructurings, financings and capital markets.
Our practice covers transactional and regulatory matters; in particular, we advise on the formation and licensing of captives, commercial insurers, special purpose insurers and insurance intermediaries.
Furthermore, our team has extensive experience, industry know-how and a proven track record in advising on alternative risk financing vehicles, segregated accounts companies, insurance linked securities and listings on the Bermuda Stock Exchange, making Carey Olsen the legal adviser of choice on complex risk transfer structures.
We have a particularly strong track record in advising major international clients on insurance transactions (including complex M&A transactions), working with the largest international companies in Bermuda along with private equity firms, pension funds and investment managers from around the world that are active in the insurance sector.
A number of our lawyers previously worked in the insurance and reinsurance departments of other international law firms and have served on the boards of Bermuda licensed insurance companies (both captives and commercial insurers). This brings a practical, commercial dimension to the team’s experience and advice.
- Formation and licensing of insurers/reinsurers (including captives, commercial insurers, collateralised insurers and special purpose insurers), innovative insurers and insurance intermediaries
- Regulatory applications (including changes of control)
- Amalgamations, mergers, acquisitions and disposals of licensed insurance entities
- High-value transformational M&A transactions Investment by private equity and pension funds into ILS platforms
- Alternative risk financing structures and transformer vehicles (including insurance-linked securities, side-cars, rent-a-captives and segregated accounts companies)
- Bermuda Stock Exchange listings Insurance business transfers (including long-term insurance business transfers, portfolio transfers and innovations)
- Migrations to and from Bermuda
- Regulatory capital matters (including eligible capital/tiered capital applications)
- Capital markets, and general finance transactional support
- General corporate transactional support
- Corporate governance and regulatory supporting, including reviewing insurance documentation
- Restructuring and reorganisation of insurance groups
- Monitoring, compliance and regulatory reviews
Find a Lawyer
- Matthew Grigg
- Steven Rees Davies
- Gavin Woods
- Charissa Ball
- Alexander Collis
- Max Tetlow
- Alexandra Fox
- Stephanie Henderson-Wernbo
- Holly Barber Collis
- Aleeza Dulaney
- George McCallum
- Michelle Meyer
- Erinn O'Brien
- Amie Pigott