28 June 2017
Carey Olsen named Offshore Law Firm of the Year at the Lawyer Awards 2017
Held at The Grosvenor in London on Tuesday 27 June, this annual flagship event brings together over 1,300 private practice lawyers and senior corporate counsel to celebrate best practice in the legal industry.
Carey Olsen faced competition from seven offshore law firms to win this prestigious award, which recognises the firm’s legal excellence, depth and breadth of expertise, commercial strength, market share, innovation and market-leading strategy.
The award follows another year of strong growth for Carey Olsen; now the largest law firm in the Channel Islands with a network of eight international offices.
Carey Olsen has continued its rapid expansion in the British Virgin Islands and the Cayman Islands and has well-established practices in both these jurisdictions. The firm has also increased its footprint in Asia with the opening of the Hong Kong office in November 2016, less than a year after launching its Singapore office.
Carey Olsen has invested in key senior promotions and hires across its global practice and the group’s lawyers have acted on a number of ground-breaking deals and cases in the past year, including:
- advising SoftBank Group Corporation on the establishment of the world’s largest ever technology investment fund (the US$100 billion SoftBank Vision Fund LP);
- advising Liberty Media on its US$8 billion acquisition of Formula One Group from CVC Capital partners;
- advising Northern Trust on the launch of its blockchain financial product in Guernsey, which has been described as a 'world first';
- acting for Bank of America, alongside two other creditors, in seeking the liquidation of companies forming a key part of China Fishery Group – one of the world's largest fishery businesses; and
- acting for Hugh Dickson and Paul McCann of Grant Thornton in their capacity as Joint Official Liquidators of Weavering Macro Fixed Income Fund Limited in proceedings in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands against the Fund's former auditors, Ernst & Young (Cayman and Ireland). The proceedings commenced in 2012 and settled in late 2016.
Carey Olsen managing partner, Alex Ohlsson, said: “It has been another very strong year for the firm. We have seen significant growth and received a number of high-value and complex instructions.
"It is an honour for us to be recognised as 'Offshore Law Firm of the Year' by The Lawyer. I would like to take this opportunity to thank our clients and intermediaries for their support along with everyone who works at Carey Olsen for their hard work and commitment.”
Carey Olsen previously won 'Offshore Firm of the Year in 2014' on the strength of its ground-breaking work in relation to the Tchenguiz Discretionary Trust, one of the largest contentious trust insolvency disputes of recent years.