Gavin advises on all aspects of Bermuda commercial and corporate law, specializing in corporate finance and corporate structuring. He has extensive experience in insurance-related matters, including the licensing and ongoing regulatory requirements of insurance companies and insurance intermediaries, as well as mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing and alternative risk financing transactions (including cat bonds, insurance-linked securities and side-cars) involving insurers and insurance groups. In addition, Gavin regularly advises on investment fund matters, Bermuda Stock Exchange listings, segregated accounts, the migration of companies to/from Bermuda, and a wide variety of general and structured finance transactions.
Gavin represents a significant number of international insurance companies headquartered, or with substantial operations, in Bermuda providing a full suite of corporate, regulatory and finance advice as well as bespoke training to these clients. Gavin also acts for numerous global financial institutions on finance and regulatory matters.
His recent notable transactions include:
- Advising Alpha Growth PLC on its acquisition of Northstar Group (Bermuda) Limited and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Providence Life Assurance Company Limited
- Advising Lovell Minnick Partners LLC on its acquisition of Charles Taylor plc, a listed insurance underwriting and broker support services provider
- Advising The London Stock Exchange Group plc on its acquisition of Refinitiv, a financial data provider
- Advising FGL Holdings on the sale of F&G Reinsurance Ltd, a Bermuda life insurance company, to Aspida Holdings Ltd
- Advising Chard Re Investment Management Ltd on its licensing as an insurance agent and on the launch of its investment fund, Chard Re Fund Ltd
- Advising Artex Risk Solutions on its acquisition of Horseshoe, the Bermuda-based ILS, insurance management and fund administration specialist group
- Advising National Australia Bank Limited on letter of credit facilities to the Enstar Group
- Advising on the licensing of a Class 3 insurer
- Advising various insurance clients on the issuance of tiered capital instruments
- Advising a global insurance company on the restructuring of its operations to build operational presence in Bermuda
Recognised for his insurance expertise in the most recent edition of Chambers and Partners, Gavin is singled out for his work on insurance-linked securities as well as transactional and regulatory insurance mandates as "very strong" and "responsive". Gavin is also recognised by Legal 500 Caribbean as a "leading individual" in the Insurance/Reinsurance category.
Gavin participates regularly at conferences and seminars and provides commentary to international and local media on the Bermuda insurance industry as well as all other aspects of Bermuda law.
Prior to joining Carey Olsen, Gavin was a partner at another law firm in Bermuda. Prior to his arrival in Bermuda in 2010, he practised in New York and London for international law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. He was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2007, the New York State Bar in 2008 and the Bermuda Bar in 2012.
Carey Olsen Bermuda Limited is a limited liability company incorporated in Bermuda and approved and recognised under the Bermuda Bar (Professional Companies) Rules 2009. The use of the title "Partner" is merely to denote seniority. Services are provided on the basis of our current terms of business.