Michael Padarin 彭德贤
Michael's practice concentrates on the formation, operation and restructuring of offshore private investment funds, primarily private equity and venture capital funds, and their related fund sponsor vehicles. He specialises in Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands and Bermuda law. Michael is highly regarded for his breadth of experience advising across the spectrum from emerging managers to the most sophisticated global institutional players.
Michael also represents early and later stage companies in a range of industries, including fintech, life sciences and technology, in relation to private financings, listings, cross-border investments and other M&A transactions. He is regularly instructed by leading international firms as specialist Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands counsel on complex corporate transactions.
Michael lived and worked in the Cayman Islands before returning to Hong Kong and has a wealth of experience dealing with inbound and outbound China deals. During his time in the Cayman Islands Michael acted for some of North America's largest private equity houses on both fund formation and downstream transactional work. He is one of the most experienced offshore private equity specialist in the Hong Kong market.
Clients and industry peers' compliment Michael as "an extremely strong and reliable funds lawyer" (Legal 500 Asia Pacific) and "has a wide range of fund-related expertise, encompassing launches as well as restructuring"(Chambers Global). Michael is also valued by his clients for his "‘pragmatic approach’ and extensive knowledge of Cayman Islands fund issue" (IFLR1000).
Michael was recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific and an Up-and-Coming individual by Chambers Asia Pacific in 2023. Michael has been rated by IFLR1000 as "Highly Regarded" for Offshore Private Equity Funds and Investment Funds in Hong Kong since 2022. He was also included on the 'A-List' by China Business Law Journal, as one of 100 foreign firm lawyers operating within China's legal industry for 2021 and 2022.
Michael's recent experience includes:
- Advising Marunouchi Innovation Partners Co., Ltd., a company jointly established by Mitsubishi Corporation, MUFG Bank Ltd. and Pavilion Private Equity Co., Ltd. on the successful launch of the Marunouchi Climate Tech Growth Fund L.P.
- Acting for a preeminent Chinese private equity and venture capital firm, on the launch of its first digital asset focussed fund, structured as an open-ended Cayman Islands mutual fund with a BVI approved manager.
- Advising Jinko Solar Co Ltd (SHA: 688223), the principal operating subsidiary of solar module maker JinkoSolar Holding Co Ltd (NYSE: JKS) on its initial public offering on the Shanghai Stock Exchange’s Sci-Tech innovation board and raising gross proceeds of CNY 10 billion.
- Acting as the Cayman Islands and BVI counsel to a leading private equity investor and fund manager committed to driving the growth of Chinese consumer brands on its proposed global offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised a global venture capital firm known as a pioneer in early-stage enterprise investments on the launch of their multi-million closed-ended venture capital fund focused on early-stage blockchain opportunities.
Prior to joining Carey Olsen, Michael was a partner in the global investment funds group of another offshore firm based in the Cayman Islands for seven years, having previously spent over four years in its Hong Kong office.
Michael was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 2002, a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2012, a solicitor of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court of the British Virgin Islands in 2012, as an attorney-at-law in the Cayman Islands in 2012 and is enrolled as a registered associate in Bermuda.
客户和业内同行称赞彭德贤律师是 "一位非常强大和可靠的基金律师"（《亚太法律 500 强》），并且 "拥有广泛的基金相关专业知识，包括基金发行和重组"（《钱伯斯亞太》）。彭德贤律师还因其 "务实的态度 "和"对开曼群岛基金问题的广泛了解"受到客户的高度评价"（《钱伯斯亞太》）。
彭德贤律师于 2023 年获《亚太法律 500 强》推荐为领先律师，还获《钱伯斯亚太》评为 "潜质律师"。自 2022 年起，彭德贤律师获 《国际金融法律评论》评为香港离岸私募股权基金和投资基金的 "高度评价 "律师。他还入选了《中国商法杂志》的 "A-List 法律精英榜单"，成为 2021 年和 2022 年在中国法律行业外资律所优秀律师之一。
- 为丸之内创新伙伴有限公司 (Marunouchi Innovation Partners Co., Ltd.)，一家由三菱商事株式会社、MUFG银行有限公司和Pavilion Private Equity Co., Ltd.共同成立的公司就成功推出的Marunouchi Climate Tech Growth Fund L.P.提供法律服务。
- 为晶科能源股份有限公司（上海证券交易所代码：688223）在上海证券交易所科创板的首次公开募股（募集资金总额达 100 亿元人民币）提供法律服务。