Steven Rees Davies
Steven's practice covers a broad spectrum of corporate, commercial and regulatory law with specific depth and experience in corporate governance and regulation, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), finance, securities and restructuring.
A recognised specialist in the fintech and digital asset sector, Steven worked with the Bermuda government in the introduction and development of its digital asset legal and regulatory regime, and represents a significant number of digital asset companies headquartered, or with operations, in Bermuda. He also has particular expertise in infrastructure projects and the wider technology, telecommunications and energy sectors.
Steven regularly represents clients on a wide variety of local and cross-jurisdictional corporate and regulatory transactions and restructurings as well as public offerings (IPOs), private placements and listings on the Bermuda, New York and London stock exchanges. He also advises on complex multinational joint ventures and private equity projects.
Steven has acted as a director on the boards of US and European listed companies as well as smaller entrepreneurial private companies and has advised on all aspects of business law that affect such entities. He is as comfortable advising technology start-ups as he is with the boards of international conglomerates.
Steven is recognised by Legal 500 as a 'Leading Individual', ranked by IFLR1000 as a 'Rising Star Partner' and has consistently been ranked by Chambers and Partners since 2017.
Steven is frequently asked to speak and present on Bermuda legal and regulatory matters at conferences around the world with recent speaking engagements including:
- Panelist - The Big Debate at the C5 Crypto and Digital Asset Fraud & Recovery conference in London Carey Olsen will be speaking at the C5 Crypto & Digital Asset Conference | Carey Olsen
- Presented at Citywealth Crypto Club Spring meeting at Gaucho Piccadilly, London on the future of digital asset regulation and shared insight on Bermuda's digital asset business regime and the resilience shown in the markets by those regulated by the Bermuda Monetary Authority.
- Panelist at International Bar Association Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds in New York, joining a panel of speakers to discuss the future of digital/virtual assets in asset management.
- Panel moderator at International Tech Summit in Bermuda, on the evolution of the regulation of DeFi Carey Olsen attending International Tech Summit 2023 | Carey Olsen
- Panelist at webinar: Global Offshore Fintech Focus on Crypto: Laws, Regulations and Trends in partnership with Mondaq Webinar: Global Offshore Fintech Focus on Crypto | Carey Olsen
- Panelist at the CPCU In2Risk22 to discuss the metaverse, blockchain and insurance Carey Olsen to speak at In2Risk 2022 | Carey Olsen
- Panelist at the Bermuda Tech Summit, looking at how regulators promote resilience and innovation during turbulent times Carey Olsen is sponsor of Bermuda Tech Summit 2022 | Carey Olsen
Steven joined Carey Olsen Bermuda after 13 years at another international offshore law firm where he was Joint Global Head of Technology and Innovation.
Prior to his arrival in Bermuda he worked for the London offices of international law firms Norton Rose Fulbright and Hill Dickinson LLP.
In addition to being called to the Bar in Bermuda, Steven has been called to the Bar of New York (US Southern District) and admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising). He is also a member of the Bermuda Bar Association, the Law Society of England and Wales and the New York Bar Association.
Carey Olsen Bermuda Limited is a company limited by shares incorporated in Bermuda and approved and recognised under the Bermuda Bar (Professional Companies) Rules 2009. The use of the title “Partner” is merely to denote seniority. Services are provided on the basis of our current terms of business, which can be viewed at: www.careyolsen.com/terms-business.