Dan specialises in the structuring and formation of investment funds and in real estate holding vehicles. He has extensive transactional experience with a wide range of offshore structures, from establishment, financing and restructuring through to winding-up. Dan is instructed by both global financial institutions and specialist asset managers and he works with Jersey's leading corporate services providers.
Dan is ranked as a 'Leading Individual' by Legal 500 and rated as a 'Leading Lawyer - Highly regarded' in IFLR1000 2021.
His recent transactions include:
- advising European private equity firm Nordic Capital on their flagship funds (Nordic Capital Fund X raised €6.1 billion in less than six months in a wholly remote capital raise);
- advising SoftBank on the establishment, regulation and operation of the world's largest fund, the SoftBank Vision Fund (targeting $100 billion);
- advising Capvis, European mid-market private equity firm, on Capvis Equity V, their latest flagship which raised just under €1.2 billion;
- advising Capvis on the disposal of the remaining portfolio of Capvis Equity III to a new Capvis-managed continuation structure;
- advising a 2008 vintage Nordic Capital fund on the disposal of nine unlisted companies fund to a new regulated Jersey continuation vehicle. Coller Capital acted as lead investor in the €2.5 billion transaction, which was fully underwritten by Coller Capital’s seventh fund and Goldman Sachs Asset Management's Vintage Funds;
- advising on the sale of a minority interest in the investment management business of a private equity firm;
- advising British Land on the launch of Broadgate REIT as a new holding company for their joint venture with GIC as 50:50 owners of the Broadgate development in London (Broadgate is a 30 acre fully managed estate in the heart of the City of London).
Dan trained and qualified (1993) in Australia, working with Freehills (in Sydney and Melbourne) and Macquarie Bank, principally advising on funds and listed products. Dan has practised in Jersey since 2003 and been a partner with Carey Olsen since January 2012. He attended the University of Adelaide (LL.B), the College of Law in Sydney and the University of Sydney (LL.M in corporate finance and tax). Dan was the chair of the Legal, Tax & Regulatory sub-committee of the Jersey Funds Association and a member of its main committee for a number of years, working closely with the government and the Jersey Financial Services Commission in initiating and developing policy and regulation in the area of funds and asset management.