Robert Quinn is an associate in the trusts and private wealth team of Carey Olsen's Guernsey office. He advises on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious trust practice and is a trusted advisor to the directors of many of Guernsey's leading banks and trust companies. He was named one of eprivateclient's Top 35 Under 35 in both the UK and the Channel Islands for 2018 and was awarded the STEP 2016 Student of the Year award for the Offshore Trusts Law, Creation and Practice module of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
Robert's recent work includes:
- Structuring for UHNW clients including PEPs such as former heads of state.
- Advising a global bank acting as trustee in a semi-contentious restructuring involving ~£1bn in assets obtaining Public Trustee v Cooper type II relief from the Royal Court of Guernsey and subsequent decanting of assets onto new structures, and a related M&A transaction and anti-trust relief.
- Assisting claimant in breach of trust claim against global trust company valued at >USD 11m from inception to successful settlement.
- Advising trustees in respect OFAC sanctions and related structuring.
- Advising on all aspects of trustee and director fiduciary duties and duty of care, and assisting clients in responding to hostile beneficiaries and shareholders.
Robert is a barrister and solicitor admitted to the Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario) and he obtained his LLB and BCL degrees from McGill University at Montreal, and a BA from Simon Fraser University at Burnaby, Canada. Prior to moving to Guernsey and joining Carey Olsen in 2016, he practised in Toronto, Canada.Recent Briefings