Simon Hall is counsel in Carey Olsen's BVI Dispute Resolution and Litigation team.
Simon moved to the BVI in 2015 and has significant BVI litigation experience. His caseload has primarily involved shareholder / director disputes, fraud and asset tracing, contentious trust and probate, and insolvency work. This has also included a wide array of interlocutory work including applications for freezing orders, prohibitory injunctions and the appointment of receivers. Simon has conducted litigation before the BVI Commercial Court, ECSC Court of Appeal and the Privy Council. He has acted for a wide range of clients including large financial institutions, high net worth individuals, insolvency practitioners and professional trustees.
Simon also has considerable advocacy experience and regularly appears as lead and junior counsel before the BVI Commercial Court and ECSC Court of Appeal. He has conducted numerous trials in the BVI as well as interlocutory hearings (on and without notice), and interlocutory and final appeals.
His recent cases include:
- Conducting a four week trial on behalf of two defendants to a derivative claim alleging breach of directors’ duties, dishonest assistance, conspiracy and unjust enrichment;
- Acting for a BVI shareholder in relation to unfair prejudice proceedings to prevent the compulsory redemption of a BVI minority shareholders' shares at an unfair price, including obtaining an interim injunction preventing the redemption;
- Conducting unfair prejudice proceedings on behalf of two defendant shareholders which proceeded to a three week trial in the BVI, a three day appeal before the Court of Appeal and which is now before the Privy Council;
- Acting for the defendant BVI company to a claim for rectification of the share register in circumstances where there were allegations of fraud;
- Conducting and advising on various sets of proceedings on behalf of a BVI shareholder, including as claimant on an application for the winding of a BVI company on just and equitable grounds, and advising as the funding creditor of litigation being conducted by appointed liquidator.
Simon was admitted as a solicitor of England and Wales in 2013 (currently non-practising) and admitted in the BVI in 2015. Simon has also obtained his Higher Rights of Audience.
Simon joined Carey Olsen in 2020, having spent over five and a half years in the BVI office of Maples and Calder, where he was an associate in the litigation team.
Simon is a member of the BVI Bar Association, the Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association (RISA), and the Law Society of England and Wales. He also sits on the BVI Commercial Court Users Committee.Recent Briefings